National Silhouette History
The National Silhouettes of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. became official in August 1947 at the Los Angeles Conclave of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. In 1980, the Silhouettes were officially recognized as an auxiliary to the Fraternity. Under the leadership of Dr. Oliver Gumbs, Grand Polemarch, the Silhouettes were granted a seat on the Board of Directors of the Kappa Alpha Psi Foundation, Inc. On September 11, 1987, Policy Statement No. 87-12 was entered into the records of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. recognizing the Silhouettes as an affiliate whose purpose is to provide support and assistance for the activities of the Fraternity at the Grand Chapter, Province and Local levels.
The purpose of the organized wives and widows of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., has been to promote the organization of local Silhouette chapters, provide activities for visting Silhouettes during Kappa Conclaves, develop national service projects of interest to all Silhouette chapters, establish uniform policies and procedures for all local chapters and most importantly to serve as the official auxiliary to Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity.
Our Purpose is to…
Serve as an auxiliary to Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
Promote the organization of local Silhouette chapters and the interchange of ideas.
Coordinate activities of local Silhouette chapters.
Provide activities of visiting Silhouettes and their families during the Kappa Conclave.
Develop and disseminate policies and procedures for National, Province, and Local Chapters.